Rocket Man Gun Fight In Space (working title) is a quick little shmup I threw together to test out, among other subtle effects, some screen shake and delays.
- WASD controls your jet pack
- AD control walking when on the ground
- Left and Right arrows fire your gun
Shoot the big green heads for points, avoid collisions with them, and don’t slam into walls (or ceilings or floors) at full speed.
This is very much a work in progress; all images are placeholders, etc…
You can find the game here.
The latest version can be found here.
In addition to several small bug fixes, the special blocks have been removed completely until I can figure out why they work as expected in the .exe version, but not the HTML5 version…
A little bit of polishing tonight as well as a few new features. Beta version 1.17 can be found here.
- Added a (very ugly) place holder for the splash screen/start menu
- Added some transition effects between game states
- High scores are now tracked for the duration of the session
- Current session high score is shown at game over and new high scores are indicated as such
- Better sprites for special blocks
- Added placeholders for 3 more special blocks. They’ll appear in the game now, but they don’t yet have any special powers… for the time being, they just make more noise than a normal block (and look flashier; see above)
- New scoring system
Details about the scoring system.
Previously, each destroyed square had a set value. This was 10 points at the beginning of the game and it grew by 5 points at each new level. Effectively, everyone reaching a new level would do so after having earn an identical score… which is boring.
The new system (which needs to be slightly toned down; it’s issuing some pretty huge scores right now) takes into consideration how close the destroyed square is to the top of the play area, essentially rewarding riskier play. Additionally, destroying squares in rapid succession will result in even higher scores.
Tomorrow I’ll tackle the major outstanding bugs, but right now I’m off to watch Workaholics.
The game can be found here!
Keep in mind, this is still very much a beta version; expect bugs. I’ll be spending the next few evenings tackling them and, if all goes well, I should have a much more polished version online late Friday evening.
The major known issues:
- Some blocks will continue to spawn a large solid block despite some of the 9 blocks included in their group having been destroyed. This is an issue specific to the way the special blocks (and their effects) are handled and causes blocks to layer on top (think z-axis) of one another.
- Under certain conditions, it’s possible to rotate shapes in such a way that they intersect other shapes or partially escape the game area.
- Activating the “horizontal beam” special block doesn’t cause most (or any) blocks above the destroyed row to fall and settle. This actually works correctly in the Windows exe and seems to be specific to the HTML 5 version… so… this should be fun to fix.
Aside from that, there’s nothing (that I’ve found so far) game breaking. Enjoy!
Here’s a quick run down of the changes since the original HTML 5 version was posted on February 16th.
You can find the game here.
- Fixed a bug where solid blocks would occasionally form just as you cleared the 9 blocks which formed them
- Sped up side to side block movement; beyond level 10 took almost the entire vertical space to move from the center to one side
- Adjusted the rate at which the 9 blocks from a recently converted solid block switched back to a solid block
- I broke everything with v1.14… it’s all fixed now!
- Added acceleration due to gravity on settling blocks
- Adding smooth animation to falling/settling blocks
- Blocks now fall until they settle as opposed to falling exactly how many blocks were destroyed beneath them
- New shapes aren’t spawned until everything has settled from the previous turn
- The game is running much more smoothly now since having changed the way the VHS effects are rendered.